Re: [nsp] RSP8 and SLLOOOWWW 'wr mem' performance

From: John Welder (jwelder@cisco.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 21:22:36 EST

Hi Danny,

I think the DDTS is CSCdr53369, fixed in 12.0(14.6)S or newer images.

The reason why it is slower on an RSP8 than an RSP4 is that we do alot
of checksumming of NVram which is 2 megs on a RSP8 and only 128k on
RSP4. Even if we are just writing a 100 byte file we always checksum
ALL of NVram. Previous to this fix we would checksum every time we wrote
a block (which I think is 1K but don't quote me on it) with this DDTS fix
we reduced the number of times we checksum, but the RSP8 is a bit slower
than an RSP4 due to the diff in size of NVram.

  - John