Re: [nsp] [nsp] best practice for bgp load balancing with unequal bandwidth

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 10:53:21 EST

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 02:42:34PM -0000, Stephane Perez wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, some of our upstreams have never head of what a
> "community" is ;(
>
> You normally should be able to change the community string in your routers
> by setting the policy on your boxes

We're talking about *BGP* communities, not "community strings".

BGP communities are a transitive (optional) BGP attribute that can be used
to set things like as-path prepends, local-prefs and so on in a remote
BGP AS.

Obviously this only works if the remote AS supports this. So if the
upstream ISP doesn't know what this is, then no matter what you do locally,
it won't have an effect.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de