RE: [nsp] Cisco Setup 2621

From: Christian Reichert (c.reichert@resolution.de)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 12:13:21 EST

Hi all,

there were a lot of answers to this Questions already. And as most of the
otheres remarked, this setup won't work because both interface addresses are
in the same subnet and the Cisco doesn't allow this. Nor does a Cisco allow
an unnumbered configuration on an interface.

As a extension to all those answers, I think what RTS tries to do here is
physical redundency (for the case when one of the Interfaces fails).

There are two ways to do that:

If you 2621 is connected to a vlan cabable Switch, then turn on trunking,
then you have one virutal (vlan) Interface with an IP address and the 2
links are just trunks to a Switch. (You could even turn on EtherChannel and
use the combined Bandwidt. If the 2600 supports EtherChannel, dunno).

Second way would be to use the backup interface command, then you can use
the same address on both interfaces. The backup one will be in standby mode
until the primary one is up again.

e.g:
        int f0/0
        ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y