RE: [nsp] CEF

From: Dan Hollis (goemon@anime.net)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 22:32:19 EDT

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:
> Even on processor-based routing, CEF should have a better stability to
> changing traffic patterns than demand-based fast-caching. Also, CEF pruning
> instead of clearing the fast-cache should show a better response to route
> instability, taking lesse CPU cycles to recover steady state.

On or off, CEF doesn't seem to do diddly squat on 36xx in regards to cpu
usage or latency. It does however eat up lots of memory.

I imagine the biggest impact will be where dCEF can be deployed. But on
low end it seems to have no effect.

Has anyone done benchmarks on 36xx to prove CEF has positive impact on
latency or cpu in typical setup? Eg 2 full BGP with medium traffic load
(eg 8mbps)

> A possible gain is using RPF instead of access-lists when no other filtering
> besides spoofing is required.

Yes, but thats probably rare.

-Dan