Re: [nsp] [nsp] Switch error

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 02:47:27 EDT

Unless your router is the rather rare 10mbit/FDX capable beast,
you want to have the port set to HDX. Single and Muliple
collisions are **NORMAL** though obviously a limiting factor as
the amount of traffic you'd like to push goes up.

If you get more than a token number of Excess Collissions, then
you're getting into problem territory.

Seting FDX removes the check to see if there's already a transmissing
"on the wire", this will be reflected as the kind of errors you're
seeing on one end, and usually Late Collisions on the other end.

Got it?

Fundamentally a switch will not change the performance of a point
to point link between two HDX routers, it only prevents their
traffic from interefering with other paths and vice-versa.

                                                George