Re: [nsp] WCCP & 12.1(5)T10

From: Lincoln Dale (ltd@cisco.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 20:54:56 EDT

Hi Mark,

At 08:26 AM 20/10/2001 +0200, Mark Pace Balzan wrote:
>When I redirect traffic from the NPE400 which would be about the same amount
>of requests, the traffic processed by the cache goes up to around 80Mbps.
>This is a crazy figure, and I cannot yet figure out exactly whats happening.
>
>Is their anyone using WCCP v2 and 12.1(5)T10 running on 7206VXR NPE 400 with
>CEF enabled for redirection, and is working well ?

as a general recommendation, i'd recommend that you run the 12.0S software
train (latest 12.0(x)S release) rather than a 12.1T release.

having said that, i don't believe that there are any major issues with WCCP
in 12.1(5)T.

given you see different characteristics between the NPE200 and NPE400, i'd
say that you may want to investigate your cache.
by the sounds of it, perhaps it has some kind of "overload bypass" facility
and isn't using the correct method to redirect unwanted traffic back to the
router. the use of an incorrect method results in a "traffic loop" with
unwanted traffic being re-intercepted and sent back to the cache - ad
infinitum --
i know of at least 2 cache vendors that "get this wrong".

cheers,

lincoln.