Re: [nsp] Running ssh on cisco

From: Michael K. Smith (mike@wackypackets.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 16:42:48 EST

Hello Manpreet:

First, you have to have an ssh-enabled version of the IOS on your boxes. If
you already do, then do the following:

1) Make sure your hostname is not "Router"
2) Make sure you have something in ip domain-name <>
3) type 'crypto key generate rsa'
4) select the key size you want

That sets up the keys needed for ssh. Now, if you want to use local login,
do the following:

5) type "aaa new-model"
6) type "aaa authentication login default local"
7) type "username <username> password <password>"
8) type "line vty 0 4" (or however many vty's you're using)
9) type "transport input ssh"

At this point, you can only ssh to the router using the username and
password you specified. You can change your aaa parameters to whatever you
wish (if you're using TACACS or Radius, etc.).

I would sanity check the above before going hog-wild on your router, just in
case I missed something.

Mike