RE: [nsp] MPLS PE following a default ?

From: Kevin Gannon (kgannon@lancomms.ie)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 13:33:56 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Gannon
Sent: 26 February 2002 18:14
To: 'Eric Osborne'; Kevin Gannon
Cc: 'Cisco-Nsp (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [nsp] MPLS PE following a default ?

<snip>

> My question is will the Cust PE tag the customer traffic with a label to
get
> the
> trafic to the Agg PE by following the default router and then will the
label
> be popped
> off and another L3 lookup be done and a new tag attached to get the
traffic
> to the
> destination Agg PE.

So something like

CE---PE1----PE2---P---( cloud )
      ^ ^
    cust PE |
            agg PE

??

Thats the idea linewrap is evil ;o).

If you're talking a vrf-lite-like scenario, then that means packets
are going from PE1 to PE2 unlabeled. If that's the case, they'll
follow the default route just like any other route. If you're talking
about label exchange of some sort between PE1 and PE2, there's a few
ways you can do that; we'd have to talk about more specifics, but in
general there's no provisions that a default route is treated
differently than any other route.

We are looking at label exchange rather than matching VRFs on both the
PE's. Mind you that might be an idea ...... :o).

After a cup of coffee of course the PE1 to PE2 traffic has to be
labeled to allow for VPN functionaility doh.

Maybe you could tell me a little more about the label exchange scenario
between the two PE's. We do not want to run OSPF to the second PE (PE1)
as we are conecerned about OSPF stability. Just as a ball park figure
we might be talking 700 PE1's. Maybe you could explain "no provisions
that a default route is treated differently than any other route" in
the above context. Any comments most welcome as my head hurts at this stage.

Regards,
Kevin

the system manager.

presence of computer viruses.