Re: [nsp] MPLS PE following a default ?

From: Eric Osborne (eosborne@cisco.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 15:07:42 EST

> 700 PE1s on a single PE2, or across the whole network?
>
> No there will be a number of PE2s, we are mad but not that mad.

ok, good....
how many PE1s per PE2?

> You have a whole bunch of choices, not all of them palatable or
> reasonable. In no particular order:
>
> - LDP + IGP
> - LDP + static routes
> - EBGP + labels (rfc3107)
> ** due out Real Soon Now, as I understand it
> - Carrier's Carrier (LDP + {IGP|static routes} in a VRF)
> - back-to-back VRFs
> - Inter-provider BGP (EBGP AF_VPNv4)
>
> Not wanting to run an IGP leaves you with statics+LDP, b2b VRFs (aka
> 'vrf lite') or the various BGP solutions. If you have 700 PE1s on a
> single PE2, you've kinda painted yourself into a corner - you'll need
> statics or b2b VRFs, I think.
>
> Oh god thats a lot to think about some questions if I might:
>
> 1. The b2b VRFs is the VRF not tied to a physical interface
> so if I wanted to present 10 VPNs on 10 ethernets on PE1
> to the customer, I would need 10 interfaces such as FR PVCs
> to the PE2 so I would have a "physical" interface to map
> each VRF to one both sides ?

No; b2b VRFs is off an interface. pretty much anything that supports
VRFs, so stuff like dot1Q or ISL trunks might work, as might FR or ATM
subinterfaces. depends on code and platform.

> 2. The Inter-provider BGP is new to me, briefly how would this help ?

This allows you to do EBGP VPNv4 between two routers; instead of
treating PE1s as subordinate to PE2s, make them peers. Then it
becomes much like regular EBGP, with a few eccentricities.

> 3. How would the statics help me are you saying I could put a static
> one PE1 say 192.0.0.0/8 would would cover all the possible PE2's
> via the connected link to the neighbor PE2. Then PE2 would pop the
> label and do an additional route/label lookup and forward the traffic
> to the correct PE2 ?

no; in 'static + LDP' I'm saying if you have LDP distribute labels,
you need a route to bind those labels to....but perhaps I'm not clear
on the problem you're actually trying to *solve* at this poitn. If
the goal is to do some sort of vrf-lite thing, I'd just use FR or
dot1Q subinterfaces b2b between PE1 and PE2. More work to provision,
but easier to understand. The next thing I'd look at is inter-AS
VPNs:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t5/interas.htm

eric