RE: [nsp] MPLS PE following a default ?

From: Kevin Gannon (kgannon@lancomms.ie)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 13:59:03 EST

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 06:14:18PM -0000, Kevin Gannon wrote:
> <snip>
>

> > My question is will the Cust PE tag the customer traffic with a label to
> get
> > the
> > trafic to the Agg PE by following the default router and then will the
> label
> > be popped
> > off and another L3 lookup be done and a new tag attached to get the
> traffic
> > to the
> > destination Agg PE.
>
> So something like
>
> CE---PE1----PE2---P---( cloud )
> ^ ^
> cust PE |
> agg PE

> We are looking at label exchange rather than matching VRFs on both the
> PE's. Mind you that might be an idea ...... :o).
>
> Maybe you could tell me a little more about the label exchange scenario
> between the two PE's. We do not want to run OSPF to the second PE (PE1)
> as we are conecerned about OSPF stability. Just as a ball park figure
> we might be talking 700 PE1's.

700 PE1s on a single PE2, or across the whole network?

No there will be a number of PE2s, we are mad but not that mad.

You have a whole bunch of choices, not all of them palatable or
reasonable. In no particular order:

- LDP + IGP
- LDP + static routes
- EBGP + labels (rfc3107)
        ** due out Real Soon Now, as I understand it
- Carrier's Carrier (LDP + {IGP|static routes} in a VRF)
- back-to-back VRFs
- Inter-provider BGP (EBGP AF_VPNv4)

Not wanting to run an IGP leaves you with statics+LDP, b2b VRFs (aka
'vrf lite') or the various BGP solutions. If you have 700 PE1s on a
single PE2, you've kinda painted yourself into a corner - you'll need
statics or b2b VRFs, I think.

Oh god thats a lot to think about some questions if I might:

1. The b2b VRFs is the VRF not tied to a physical interface
   so if I wanted to present 10 VPNs on 10 ethernets on PE1
   to the customer, I would need 10 interfaces such as FR PVCs
   to the PE2 so I would have a "physical" interface to map
   each VRF to one both sides ?

2. The Inter-provider BGP is new to me, briefly how would this help ?

3. How would the statics help me are you saying I could put a static
   one PE1 say 192.0.0.0/8 would would cover all the possible PE2's
   via the connected link to the neighbor PE2. Then PE2 would pop the
   label and do an additional route/label lookup and forward the traffic
   to the correct PE2 ?

> Maybe you could explain "no provisions that a default route is
> treated differently than any other route" in the above context. Any
> comments most welcome as my head hurts at this stage.

If PE2 sends a label via some mechanism to PE1 and the label mapping
is for 0.0.0.0/0, that label will be bound to the route just like it
would if PE2 send a label mapping for the address 10.0.0.0/8. You may
need to configure 'mpls ip default-route' on PE1; I'm not sure why
that knob is there but it's off by default.

the system manager.

presence of computer viruses.

For more information contact postmaster@lancomms.ie

phone + 353 1 4093000