Re: [nsp] opinions wanted: how is Juniper better than Cisco

From: Jonas Stenling (jonas@stenling.nu)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 10:23:34 EDT

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, jakasemboeng wrote:

> Note, I am not interested in such features like ease of manageability or
> ease of configuration. I only want to discuss things that affect
> performance at this time.

Are we talking core or edge? Specifically what "performance advantage" are
you talking about. When it comes to pumping packets in the core I don't
see how say a M160 would do that better than a 124xx.

If you're talking about doing fancy stuff at the edge then I would say
that Juniper has had an advantage there thanks to its IP2, but that is
more or less gone now with the introduction of the edge engine cards etc.

Of cource, you could do wire speed tests like the Light Reading test but
nobody uses a router in that way in a production network.

--
Visit: http://www.stenling.nu/contact.html for contact info.
EOF