[nsp] opinions wanted: how is Juniper better than Cisco

From: jakasemboeng (jakasemboeng@ekilat.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 21:58:15 EDT

Hello all:

I think everybody here would agree that a Juniper router performs better
than an equivalent Cisco router. Sure, there might be debate about just how
much better, but I don't think there is any dispute that the Juniper router
performs better to some degree.

I am curious to understand how this is true. Specifically, how much of
Juniper's advantage is due to superior hardware vs. superior software? Is
it mostly because of better hardware, or mostly better software, or is the
hardware/software mix about equal?

Now of course, this is a highly subjective question, and nobody will
probably ever know for sure. I'm just looking for some opinions. For
example, on the face of it, it seems that the hardware architecture for both
vendors seems rather similar. Both consist of a completely decoupled
routing and forwarding engine. One hardware advantage that Juniper may have
is the Internet Processor 2 engine for high-touch services. But of course
Cisco now offers PRE/PXF/NSE/ISE engine for high-touch services.

Note, I am not interested in such features like ease of manageability or
ease of configuration. I only want to discuss things that affect
performance at this time.

Any comments will be appreciated.

regards
js