RE: [nsp] C4000/4500/4700 IPSec performance

From: KF (kf@reign.sk)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 05:16:15 EDT

Hmmm mine experiences with 4000 using IPSEC with DES was very bad. (I meant not the speed... it's obvious that CPU in 4000 is
powerless for any crypto/compress algorithms.)
I had real problems with IKE phase 1 using and or testing with lot of IOSes (pre-shared enviroment) against other IOS box and
Checkpoint....

All those strange problems vanished after moving to 4500/4700 series ;))

IPSEC performance using software engine (CPU performance):

1000 - up to 64Kbit
1600 - up to 128Kbit
1700 - up to 512Kbit
2500 - up to 160Kbit
2600 - up to 500Kbit
3640 - up to 2Mbit
3660 - up to 5Mbit
4000 - up to 160Kbit
4500 - up to 2Mbit
4700 - up to 4Mbit
7206 NPE 200 - up to 5Mbit
7505 RSP4 - up to 6Mbit

by offloading CPU with encryption hardware module, throughput might rise up ;)

1700 - up to 1.5Mbit
2600 - up to 6Mbit
2650 - up to 14Mbit
3640 - up to 12Mbit
3660 - up to 24Mbit
7206 VXR ISA - up to 90Mbit
PIX - up to 100Mbit
VPN3003 up to 80Mbit
VPN5008 up to 760Mbit

greetz

alex..

any other experiences with crypto speed are welcome.... Yo, Cisco staff, awaiting responses..