RE: Per packet load balancing

From: Stephen Gill (gillsr@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 02:20:28 EDT

This excerpt from the manual should answer your question:

JUNOS Routing and Routing Protocols v5 Manual, page 126

... snip snip ...

On routers with the Internet Processor II ASIC, when per-packet load
balancing is configured, traffic between routers with multiple paths is
divided into individual traffic flows (up to a maximum of 16 equal-cost
load-balanced paths). Packets for each individual flow are kept on
a single interface. To recognize individual flows in the transit
traffic, the router examines each of the following:
! Source IP address
! Destination IP address
! Protocol
! Source port number
! Destination port number
! Interface through which the packet entered the router

... snip snip ...

The new tag offered in JUNOS 5.0 called "load-balance per-flow" simply
allows you to modify the behavior already enabled with the "per-packet"
tag. More specifically, it allows you to determine what defines a flow:
layer 3 information (IP) or layer 4 information (TCP/UDP).

As a side note, the manual does not state what the *actual* algorithm is
for path selection. If anyone knows it would be nice to hear.
Predicting which interface a flow will pass through could come in handy.
(something like XOR of all variables listed above and the # of equal
cost paths?)

-- steve