Re: [j-nsp] Cisco equivilant to an M5?

From: Chris Watson (opsys@voodooland.net)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 16:28:21 EST

> That's a very poor use of the potential of the M5. The M5 is heavily
> overspecified for this function. You could easily do what you've got
> there with a 3600. Having said that, the 3600, 7200 and the 7500 are
> totally outclassed with respect to sheer grunt and port density. The
> M5 has similar grunt to the original GSR (nearest to the 12004 which
> never got beyond the beta stage or even the 12008 with it's original
> line cards!). The 10xxx range might also be considered similarly
> specified as might the 12404. Neither of these seem appropriate for
> your requirements (4 x T1 & 4 x FE).

If that was all it was ever going to do yes. I realize thats *alot* of iron.
But you have to realize this is a cable company, that is deploying a fiber
ring around the city, and has plans to offer VoIP and other whacky things as
well. I want them to have a router they can use now and grow into as they
need to. The M5 appears to scale very nicely for their plans. Even though as
configured its alot of iron to throw at 4 T's and a FE link. I like looking a
bit beyond 2 feet in front of me.

Chris