Re: M20 vs. M40

From: Denise Sandell (dsandell@voyager.net)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 17:54:04 EDT

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 04:22:36PM -0500, nicholas harteau wrote:

<snip>

> I've had isolated incidents of DOA REs, but never had one fail in
> service. Also note that until very recently JunOS didn't have support
> for RE failover in software; I'm still not sure what the current state
> of that feature is.

I have actually seen an m10 RE fail in service, which didn't really rear
its ugly head until attempting to perform a software upgrade.

Intermittently, I would be unable to boot from flash, or from the
hard drive (alternate media). Kernel panic would ensue being unable to mount
root, and I'd receive a stack trace. I had reformatted the drive, and
reinstall the system software to no avail.

Although I don't know what exactly what the root of the problem was with
that particular routing engine, Juniper was able to ship me a replacement
RE in 24 hours. I've yet to run into the problem again.

--
- Denise Sandell                         network operations manager -
- dsandell@voyager.net              voyager.net, a CoreComm company -