RE: M20 vs. M40

From: Przemyslaw Karwasiecki (karwas@ifxcorp.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 15:53:58 EDT

But cost of fully redundant M20 will approximately
equal to cost of 2 M10s and not differ very much
from cost of two M20s with single RE and SSB.
Of course depends on interfaces.

Any way -- when one of those M10 or M20 dies
you don't need to wait 5 minutes to bring second RE
online and reastabilish all BGP sessions.

So, IMHO, it is much wiser to have 2 M10/M20 than
have an illusion of N2 redundancy given by M20
with 2 SSBs and 2 REs.

Any opinions?

Przemek