Re: Secondhand, Offlease, Etc.

From: Jesper Skriver (jesper@skriver.dk)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 09:06:31 EST

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 12:02:11AM -0500, Avi Freedman wrote:

> Sigh, reminds me of when Sun used to landfill old 3/50s they took in
> trade instead of doing something useful for nonprofits.
>
> This is different, of course.
>
> So Juniper has a "use m5s instead of 7206s" program and Cisco has
> the "Juniper buyback". I guess we all benefit from this somehow?
>
> Anyway, on-topic:
>
> My understanding of the "packet reordering" issue is that Juniper
> claims that it can (not will) only happen if there's only one
> flow going across the whole router. Is this essentially correct?

That's not what I heard, I was told it could happend in corner cases
where 2 flows had common ingress and egress interfaces, one flow only of
small packets, and one only of larger packets.

But the real issue here is, is it really a problem, I'd say not.

Juniper also said they will come out with a solution where the Packet
Director will ensure that all packets in a flow will always go to
the same I/O manager/SFM thus there will be no packet reordering.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: Geek            @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)

One Unix to rule them all, One Resolver to find them, One IP to bring them all and in the zone to bind them.