RE: Secondhand, Offlease, Etc.

From: Frank Bruce (fbruce@cisco.com)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 19:00:25 EST

Jesper,

Nice sig, actually we do believe it to be a issue, in doing CEF feature
testing we too discovered we could support sending packets out of sequence,
and the knock on effect to the end applications, not just voice & video.
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios112/ios112p/gsr/
cef.htm#xtocid2626427

Please see http://puck.nether.net/cisco-nsp/packet_reordering1.pdf this is
an IEEE document and
http://puck.nether.net/cisco-nsp/Router_Arch_WP_129-31.pdf a Cisco white
paper on the subject of architectures, these are in the public domain.

>Juniper also said they will come out with a solution where the Packet
>Director will ensure that all packets in a flow will always go to
>the same I/O manager/SFM thus there will be no packet reordering.

On the 160 if the Packet Director has the task of receiving the inbound
packets from the physical interface and deciding which of the four planes to
send them to. Since none of the forwarding engines have had a chance to see
this packet yet, then the Packet Director has no way to make an intelligent
decision as to which of the four planes to send the packet to. In
particular, it cannot know which output port the packet will ultimately be
sent to.

Next the Packet Director must make sure the 10G of received bandwidth is
equally split to each of the four 2.5G planes, otherwise basic throughput at
10G won’t be achieved, and that the Packet Director has no visibility to the
traffic on other linecards, and in particular has no means to collaborate
with other Packet Directors in making its decision.

So we are assuming that all the line cards are replaced, hence back to the
topic we trash them.
(after we replace it with "something better than you're used too" and pay
freight of course).

Regards

Frank Bruce
Consulting SE, NSP West
Cisco Systems Ltd
      | | | 3 The Square, Stockley Park
     :|: :|: | Uxbridge, England. UX11 1BN
    :|||: :|||: | Office : +44(0)20-87568000
 .:|||||||:..:|||||||:. | The Views Expressed Are My Own
 C i s c o S y s t e m s | And May Not Reflect Cisco's
All Cisco technical support should be conducted via the TAC.

How to use the Cisco TAC
http://www.cisco.com/public/support/help.shtml
TAC Newsletter
http://www.cisco.com/public/news_training/itsnews/subscribe.shtml