[a-nsp] Arista questions

Patrik Olsson darkiesan at me.com
Sat Oct 6 09:09:05 EDT 2018

Hi Robert!

Not an Arista pro, but I try to help you with some of your thoughts.

> What convergence time (FIB) I can expect with 7280R series - DFZ with full tables?
> What convergence time (RIB) I can expect with 7280R series - DFZ with full tables?

I’d expect this to be something an Arista SE would answer in a business case, because this is number not typically published.
Being a former JNPR SE, I can say this: 7280R converges FIB MUCH faster than Cisco or JNPR.

> What maximum IPv4 FIB size is supported on 7280R boxes ?

Home page says 1.3M on 7280R, 2M on 7280R2 (Jericho+). Jericho2 will bring even more as I understand it.

> Will 7280R or 7050SX3 supports Selective QinQ ?

On this URL you an select boxes and features to compare. It will show what you want:
https://www.arista.com/en/support/product-documentation/supported-features

Checking 7050X3 and 7280R, they support QinQ, so probably Selective too.

> Can I shape/police per VLAN traffic at trunk port on 7280R or 7050SX3 ?

AFAIK Trident and Jericho supports policing per VLAN on a trunk port.

> Can I shape/police per VLAN in QinQ (e.g. matching S-VLAN and C-VLAN) on 7280R or 7050SX3 ?

Exciting question, I never tested it. A question that might be worth to discuss with an Arista SE in a real business case.

> Will 7280R right now supports control-plane protection like I can do on Juniper MX series or Cisco ASR routers - we will be transit-provider then we need to protect control plane in good fashion ?

7280R has control plane policing and acl, so pretty sure you have everything you need in EOS that you can achieve with “firewall” and “policers” in JUNOS.

Thx
Patrik