[a-nsp] Arista questions

Patrik Olsson darkiesan at me.com
Mon Oct 8 08:14:24 EDT 2018

> So if you say "Cisco an JNPR is much faster here", which platforms did
> you test over there, and what times did you measure?

In this context 1-2RU boxes. So ASR1k, MX80 and MX204. At that time I did not have any NCS5k 1-2RU to test.

Unfair to compare a MX240-960 and ASR9k with a 7280R out of price and power consumption point of view. 7280R is 263W and much lower in price.
Only comparison there that holds is that 7280R have same capacity as a MX240-480 and perhaps also ASR9k with 6 slots,
forwarding wise.

> I found Cisco ASR9k to be amazingly fast (like "sub 1 minute for loading
> and installing a full table") and JNPR to be quite on the slow side, but
> that was with old REs and old JunOS versions…

The problem with JNOR is not the RIB, you an speed that up with REs, it is the process to download to the actual
ASIC that is slow.