List Name Again

Roger W. Stevens WA3FLE rstevens at VOICENET.COM
Mon Apr 7 19:10:16 EDT 1997

Friends,

Firebottles is not a great name for this list.  Somehow, "least offensive"
seems like a poor way to choose a name.  Boatanchors is a generic
term, and belongs to no single entity, no matter how great a guy or list
he and/or it is or was.  You want different--use BA List--at least
people will know what you are talking about.  But jeez, it's a reflector,
and except for newbies inquiring as to what, when, how, who, etc.,
it should never be an issue.  There seems to be a strong attempt to
preserve the status quo here with respect to the current name
assignment--I say let the market sort it out.

It's just like a frequency--just because you like 3885 MHz, and as
much as you'd like everybody to recognize it as the 50-yard line in the
"AM Window", it belongs to noone.  You can't keep those dadgum
sidebanders out of there, no matter what you do.  Why should the list
name be any different?  Do I hear copyright?  No.  Do I hear
registered trademark?  No.  There you go--BOATANCHORS!

Great list.  Great equipment.  Great name.

73, Roger WA3FLE
Norristown, PA

Roger W. Stevens (rstevens at voicenet.com)
amprnet: wa3fle at wa3fle.ampr.org [44.80.12.33]