11 Tube regen?

Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph w5hvv at AENEAS.NET
Sun Dec 7 20:20:03 EST 1997

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997 11:23:15, Gary Pewitt, N9ZSU/KT said:

>I saw an add for a very interesting radio in the November
>1939 QST on page 97.  It's an Edwin I. Guthman & Co.
>11 tube communication receiver.  It's called the U-50 Super.  No, not
>superhet.  It sold wired with tubes for $69.98.  Kit price less tubes,
>cabinet, and speaker was $49.95.  6 bands, 525 to 62,000 kc. RF stage (3
>gang condenser).  12 watts output!  Improved noise silencer.
>"Complete with New Gun-Sight Tuning Pre-Selection Stage this new receiver
>provides quiet DX thru controlled re-generation, and a socket provision for
>adding 100 kc. oscillator giving built in frequency check."
>
>What gets me is trying to figure out how they used 11 tubes in a regen.
>Lets see a tuned rf stage, a detector, a couple of af amp stages followed
>by a push pull audio out (12 watts), and a couple of rectifier tubes for
>full wave rectification.  The noise silencer and s meter could have
>accounted for two more.  That's 10.  And a full wave rectifier really only
>needs one tube.  So I see 9 tubes.  There is no magic eye tube, it had an
>s-meter.
Gary, we may never know the truth but I'll wager it was a combination
receiver.  That is, it was a superhet front end, maybe with a stage of RF
amplification, followed by a couple of stages of IF amplification and then
a regen detector followed by a stage or two of audio amplification and then
(for 12 watts of audio) two power amps to the audio output transformer.

Throw in a rectifier (or two) and you'd be pretty close to the 11 tubes.

Let us know what you find out!  I'm sure I'm not the only one that is
consumed with curiosity.

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv at aeneas.net

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov