NC-300/303 ratings

Bob Miller bmiller at CALWEB.COM
Sun Nov 23 14:11:46 EST 1997

Gary Pewitt wrote:

> Having had several requests to share whatever information
> I received on this subject and having gotten permission
> from the source, I have edited out most exteranious
> material and attached the results to this message.
> Quite an interesting range of opinions.  I hope it's some
> help.
> 73  Gary
> -------------------------------------
> Name: Gary Pewitt N9ZSV/KT
>       6120 W. Calumet Rd. Apt 204
>       Milwaukee, WI  53223
>       414 355 8147 Home 414 297 4307 Work
> E-mail: gpewitt at execpc.com
> Date: 11/23/97
> Time: 08:12:45
>
> -------------------------------------
>
>                                                   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> To: gpewitt at execpc.com
> From: Mike Maloney <ac5p at ionet.net>
> Subject: Re: NC-300--NC-303
> Cc: boatanchors at theporch.com
>
> The 300 had no noise limiter that would work with the BFO on; a
> diode clipper is included in the 303.  The avc in the 303 features
> a fast attack and slow decay, in keeping with SSB requirements.
> The oscillator for the 6BE6 converter is xtal controlled in the
> 303 and is self controlled in the 300.  You already know about
> the Q-multiplier in lieu of the xtal filter; neither matches a
> good multipole xtal bandpass filter w/bandpass tuning which
> neither has.  Even with the 303, National was still not smart
> enough to use a product detector for SSB/CW.  There is a review
> of the NC-303 in QST for Apr 59 which covers the differences and
> "improvements" over the 300 in fine detail.  A nice NC300 product
> review was done by KD0HG in Electric Radio some yrs back.  My copy
> does not have the mo/yr on it.  Perhaps another list member can
> provide the date and other references.
>
> 73, Mike

Hi Mate,
    Just a few more comments re other commments.  I dug out my docs on the NC300/303 receiver and unless I am blind both
receivers employed a 6BE6 as a combination BFO/Product detector which was typical for most designs of that era.  The NC 303
like the 300 relied on its 80Khz IF to provide selectivity and while the ssb selectivity curves 6 and 60 db 2 Khz and 9 Khz
were certainly not brick wall mechanical filters, they probably represented a typical receiver of that period including a 75A3
w/o mechanical filter.
    Regarding comparisons with Hammarulund's offerings. I'll pretty much stand by original comment that the NC 303 was a much
better built receiver than the HQ170 series.  I have one of those also and it is by comparison a piece of crap. Cheap coils
and crappy construction throughout although not as bad as the HQ180 which has to lead the list for "Just add a few more
knobs--and anyone will buy it," receivers.
    As to the remarks that the NC-303 belonged in a New Orleans Whore house I can only say that from my perspective the NC-303
always impressed me as a bold statement in crisp design with its slide rule dial, heavy steel front panel, and bar knobs.  Now
a Seeburg it is not and I think you would have to look at the late Globe stuff to get into that catagory.  Or as one fellow
said about Hallicrafters SX101, "the big dial had the Detroit Auto look" which at the time was probably a good ploy as ole
Bill Halligan's designers always seemed to be in touch with the ham public from a facade standpoint even if his designs never
changed much in 30 years.
    I suppose most of the likes and dislikes of the various ham radio offerings over the years boil down to purely emotional
issues and most often throw technical comparisons and judgement to the winds.  Hell, it's just a hobby.

    73
            Bob, KE6F