Fire update...

Dave gekko95 at IX.NETCOM.COM
Tue Sep 9 16:23:58 EDT 1997

Hello all,

First and foremost, I want to thank each and every one of
you who replied, which is almost everyone on the list. That
picked my spirits up and helped more than you know.  I also
want to thank all who have offered replacement goodies should
I need them.  As I get settled in after clean-up, I will
probably post some 'wants', or requests for prices on some
of the destroyed gear for insurance purposes.

Thank you thank you thank you.

As for the cause of the fire, it wasn't the illegal weapons
stored two units down from mine.  Yes, the gun powder did
blow up, and the cops found illegally modified
weapons, but it turns out that wasn't the cause - it was a
pot growing operation in the unit right behind mine.  The
idiots were using a 250,000 BTU 'jet engine' style space
heater, like you find on construction sites, to keep their
damn plants warm.  They pointed it at cardboard boxes for
some reason.  The huge propane tank blew up shortly thereafter.
Why would you put a heater like that in a 5 x 15 foot storage
locker?  Makes me wonder if they smoked all of their product.

Thank God we had insurance - and I'm told in criminal cases,
the payoffs are seldom argued and are always more than fair.
Plus, a team of lawyers was in the place discussing a class action
suit against the growers and the complex itself.  Not that I'm
for that sort of thing, but it's going to happen anyway.

So now back to the heap to keep sifting for the valuable little
stuff.  Found my J-38 key from my novice days, so all isn't lost!

Again, very best regards to all, and a thousand thanks from me
and my family for the outpouring of support.  What a GREAT bunch
of people!

Take care all, God bless, and best of 73's

Dave WB7AWK
Tacoma, WA