Der Audio Kooken

Kevin Sulonen sulonen at ESKIMO.COM
Mon Jun 15 14:43:50 EDT 1998

I think my tuner is also starved but live in a c&r area, so I've come up
with the following: I discovered a great deal of chicken wire behind the
plaster in my old house! I used the gold plated adaptor _in reverse_ to
connect the top of my hq 145x case to the chicken wire. My only problem is
(and yes, I realize this is a "compromise" situation) now I can only hear a
60 cps tone wherever I tune! I put a scope on it and get a perfect sine, so
I'm obviously onto the CLEANER SOUND part, but something's not quite right
yet. Should I re-crystal?

:)

>You must use a gold plated adaptor, Waveguide to Alligator clip,
>UG/456-AL-WG\73
>
>    Bob
>
>Jeffrey Herman wrote:
>
>> I've somehow gotten on an audiophile mail (postal) list. It's
>> quite amusing to read the garbage the various companies are
>> feeding the consumers. For example:
>>
>> "Are you starving your tuner with yesterday's technology? Did
>> you know that rabbit ears and whip antennas have a total surface
>> area of only 18-35 square inches, making it IMPOSSIBLE to cover
>> the entire FM band without tuning or impedance mis-match?
>> The In-Tenn's MASSIVE CAPTURE AREA - 861 square inches! -
>> provides the bandwidth to cover the entire FM band while
>> maintaining proper impedance match. CLEANER SOUND in a
>> neater package  ...blah blah... $295..."
>>
>> Because there is a spark of truth to the above (bandwidth is
>> proportional to surface area), I've decided to replace my 160m
>> 2-wavelength wire Beverage receiving antenna (with its terribly small
>> surface area) with a 2-wavelength cast iron sewer pipe (8 feet in
>> diameter) just so I don't starve my receiver. And I don't want to hear
>> about any of you folks starving your receivers (I swear I'll
>> petition the FCC to include in Part 97 a prohibition against
>> the starvation of rcvrs!).
>>
>> Gotta get some more coffee...

me too. hot coffee in abundance (and all the lutefisk you can eat on sunday)
and 73 from lovely sunny ballard,
N7KV

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov