Max Ep for 3cx800A7?

Lane Zeitler Ku7i at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Thu Dec 16 18:10:46 EST 1999

Gents,
With all these amp parts lying around and with the potential sale of my
Alpha 374 I am looking at homebrewing a pair of 3CX800A7s.

 The Eimac spec sheets state a maximum of 2500 volts on the plate. My
supply's lowest tap is at 2900 vdc at 500mA ccs. Is this dangerous to the
tube to run the plate this high? I know with 3-500Zs many amps run the
plates at 3800 to 4400 depending on the maker even though Eimac stated max
Ep was 4kvdc. Tube worked fine and lasted a long time. The newer triodes
such as the 8874 and 3cx800 are very new to me and I do not know if they are
rugged like the 3-500 and 572B in regards to plate potentials.

 So is 2900 too much? Looking for voices of experience here.

 Lane
Ku7i
San Diego