Telegraph licenses

Perry Ballinger w8au at SSSNET.COM
Thu Apr 13 23:16:29 EDT 2000

At 10:29 PM 04/13/2000 -0400, David C. wrote:
>So, here is what I gathered from the chart:
>
>1st Class:  Telegraphy 1, 2, 3, 4, Written 1, 5, 6
>2nd Class: Telegraphy 1,2, Written 1,5,6
>3rd Telegraphy 1,2 Written 1,5
>
>Most of what is contained in Written 1,2,5,6 sounds as though it should
>generally be familiar to an Extra, with a maritime spin.

<snip>

You will probably find that the tests have not been updated for a long
time, as not many tests have been given in recent years.   This means you
will be answering questions about tube transmitters, motor generators, ship
antennas,  and lots of message handling questions.  Not one question about
solid state electronics!

I retook the exam in 1992 and found that it had dates of 1961 and 1962 in
the margins.   It was actually as I remember it back in 1961.....!

So, it may be quite foreign to today's exam takers.  But, that is no reason
not to try, even if it is an academic exercise!

<snip>

>Are these certifications recognized towards anything in the commercial
>realm?  How about in government
>facilities where communication gear is maintained and operated (e.g. law
>enforcement, fire, emergency response, and other public services)?

<snip>

They are still recognized for Maritime Service maintenance, and possibly
the Aviation Service, also.  I have a Radar endorsement on my R/T license
that is very valid, and which I make use of.

73,

Perry   w8au