Kenwood TS-830S Digital Display Problem Solved -- Thanks to all!

Ron Evans cosmos41 at IX.NETCOM.COM
Fri Dec 21 18:37:12 EST 2001

My sincerest thanks to all those who wrote and pointed me to the
problem.  The gist of the problem was that the digital display wouldn't
come on the first time the rcvr was powered up each operating session.
Then, it would come on after a few minutes or sooner if the BAND switch
were rotated thru a few of its positions.

Nearly everyone agreed that the bandswitch contacts were either corroded
or dirty and just needed a trace of De-Oxit.  It all sounds so obvious
now, but that's what makes u guys so great.  You look at all
possibilities, even the obvious.  I haven't cleaned the contacts yet
(maybe this weekend) but I just sat there rotating the BAND switch from
one band to another for a few minutes, and the problem is, for now,
cured even without the De-Oxit.  The display has come on immediately
upon powering up the receiver every time since putting the BAND switch
thru its paces a few times.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to my education and had a hand in
curing my fine old TS-830S of its sniffles.  I appreciate all the
selfless help you gave and the time you spent in preparing your
excellent advice and suggestions.

Richest blessings to all the Boatanchor Gang!

73,

Ron - K5MVR

K5MVR - Loving the "glow" since 1957
K (Kilo) 5 (Five) M (Mercury) V (Vapor)  R (Rectifier)
email:cosmos41 at ix.netcom.com
http://www.geocities.com/sweetvengeance