Learning to Paint!

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sun Apr 18 18:53:26 EDT 2004

Here is my "canned" answer to obtaining paint:

I get all of the paint that I use on "boat anchor"
cabinets computer matched at my local Sherwin-Williams
store.  I have found that acryllic satin finish paint
comes out pretty darn close to the original finish.
The paint runs under $11 a quart and for April is on
sale for $1 less!

So far every cabinet that they have matched has been
"right on", including the Collins St. James gray.

You will need either a paint gun, or, if your local
store happens to be one that has the ability to "load"
spray cans then you can go that way.  Of course having
spray cans loaded is going to add to the price of the

I normally drop off a cabinet, cabinet lid, etc., of
what I want to be matched.  At least at my local
store, which tends to be very busy, I get my paint
either late in the afternoon or the next morning.  If
your store isn't that busy, they might be able to do
it for you while you wait.

Also, some automotive parts stores also have paint
matching.  However, what they use is often lacquer or
enamel, both of which do not dry to as "hard" a finish
as acryllic.

By the way, the acryllic paint that I buy does clean
up with water!  You don't have to worry about paint
thinner, lacquer thinner, etc.

Paint gun comments:

You need a pressure of at least 30 p.s.i. to get most
paint guns to work (and I like to run a "bit" more).
I have no idea as to whether or not your 35 c.f.m.
compressor can do this.  Do you have a "tank" on the
compressor?  By using the compressor to fill a tank it
is usually easier to maintain air pressure, at least
for a longer time than just trying to use a compressor
by itself.

Back when I owned the Motorola reconditioned equipment
center for the south-central U.S., I had a 7.5
horse-power twin-cylinder compressor that ran from 240
volts 3-phase.  It had a 100 gallon air tank.  We used
it for a glass bead machine and with a paint booth
that normally ran a single paint gun.  We did use both
paint "pots" and the old "suction" type of guns
(sometimes called "cup" type guns) depending on
whether or not the paint was one that we used all the
time or if it was one that was used only occasionally.

Now, I normally use a Wagner 85 watt airless paint
gun.  The part number is 0280002R.  I believe that the
"R" stands for "reconditioned" because I bought mine
on sale at Northern Equipment Company.  The sale price
was $39.95 and the regular price for the reconditioned
gun is $79.95.  New they run between $159 and $179.  I
bought the gun going on a year ago and it does an
excellent job.

Unfortunately, a quart is usually the minimum quantity
that you can purchase in a computer matched paint.

Glen, K9STH

--- joe <k7mks at COMCAST.NET> wrote:

I'd appreciate specific comments as to the best way to
approach this if I choose to purchase a small spray
gun + whatever is needed to make it go!  I have an
older gun w/ a 35cfm compressor which sits there and
stares at me when I try to use it.  What is a good
spray gun to use, where can I find matchning color
paint, etc.  Will try an auto store in the morning for
matching but I really don't need a quart.

Glen, K9STH

Web sites


Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25¢

This list is a public service of the City of Tempe, Arizona

Subscription control - http://www.tempe.gov/lists/control.asp?list=BOATANCHORS
Archives - http://interactive.tempe.gov/archives/BOATANCHORS.html

More information about the Boatanchors mailing list