Best Tube Transceiver?

edoc kd4e at ARRL.NET
Sun Mar 28 09:17:10 EST 2004

Glen Zook wrote:
> The Heath SB-101 is all tube and does a pretty good
> job (I have one that I use with a Hallicrafters HA-2
> 2-meter transverter).  That is, all tubes except for
> the power supply.  In my opinion, it is better than
> the SB-102 because the LMOs usually track better in
> the "stock" configuration than the solid-state
> versions.
>
> If you include the power supplies, there isn't a
> transceiver that I can think of that are fully tube
> type.  Even the Collins 516F-2 power supply has a
> selenium rectifier in the bias supply.
>
> Glen, K9STH

The rest of the family is almost ready to head off to
church so I will try to quickly squeeze in a couple of
observations:

The SB-101 sounds interesting, I will check it out.
I suppose I do not have to use the matching power supply,
there must be something with the same specs that is 100% non-semiconductor.

I'd hate to go through all of the trouble of acquiring
and optimizing a no-semiconductor rig only to have
something in the power supply fuse in the face of EMP!

OR, is it fair to say that the semiconductor devices
used in the matching SB-101 supply are of such high
tolerance that indirect EMP won't bother them?

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
West Central Florida