AM MODE RIGS - IMPORTANT (WAS: 600 dollar TS-520)

Brian AF4K bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Fri Sep 30 10:08:17 EDT 2005

TOM & CO - regarding the use of old AM gear at Field Day:

These things should be basic induction into amateur radio
for the new guys.  It's a terrible shame that all some of them
ever see is an HT or a danged computer terminal!

I thank GOD for my Elmer who used a commercial
10 watt 160m AM rig and a Heath HR10RA receiver
(UK version of HR10B that included 160m!) and all of the
great WW2 surplus gear like R1155, ARC5, R107, R109,
BC342, TCS12 etc. that the hams used in the UK.
I could go on about Roger Frith's (N4IBF, SK) BC610
in Nashville in the 1980s and countless other ultra-cool
things that I  have seen hams do with boatanchors like the RTTY
teleprinmter terminal that I was GIVEN at a hamfest
around 1983 and got going with a 170V DC supply, homebrew.
OR the ART13 I was givena nd got the autotune motors going
with a homebrew 28V DC supply, he he.
Boy those Fair Radio surplus transformers sure got hot!

Not forgetting my $100 Globe King... sheesh!

Guys who have never seen or experienced these old beauties do not
have ANY idea what they are missing!

73 to all de AF4K, Bry