Orlando Hamcation Boatachors Lunch

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 30 11:00:18 EST 2006

On 1/30/06, kd4e <kd4e at verizon.net> wrote:
> For we hardened veterans of Hamfests what is in the boxes
> *under* the tables or buried in a box off to the side of
> an out-of-the-way tailgater's setup is often the best
> stuff at the best prices!

Oh, absolutely! I saw W1RC find a $5 CY-979 cabinet for the R-390A
this way. It's usually where one can find the IERC tube shields, odd
knobs, manuals, and other goodies. There just wasn't much of that
stuff around when I was there on Friday. I know better now, though: go
on Saturday for best results.

> > Part of the reason you see "e Bay prices" on the more plush
> > equipment is the absurdly high admission price for sellers.
> >
> > I think Orlando is now the largest hamfest in Florida but
> > a lot of sellers think they can jack things way up.
> > The vast majority of that kind of equipment goes home with
> > the seller!

Yep, that's what someone told me last year, the high priced stuff
didn't sell. Same thing happens at Hosstraders in NH. There's usually
more than enough good stuff to spend your money on, so very few bother
with the high priced items. As soon as someone says 'I can get that
for it on ebay', I encourage them to do so, then walk away.

I did get to meet Al Bernard who makes the nice manual repros. I'm
making a list for the next time I go and plan to make him my first
stop. The main thing I hope to do though is to meet up with some AMers
and boatanchor types. The food and socializing are the best parts.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ