Getting the Word Out on 217stufforsale

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 10 09:36:42 EDT 2006

No disrespect meant Greg, because the same thing happened to me. I
actually bought a receiver from him without checking further into his
background. Fortunately I lived close enough to pick the rig up and
pay for it then, and he was fine to deal with in that respect, no
problems. The issues come in with auctions he runs not being
represented accurately and now, not being able to read his feedback.
The girlfriend's info is used because ebay banned him after the deal
with the stolen marina equipment listed in the Hew Haven Register.

My rule of thumb for buying online: like gambling, never spend more
money than you can afford to lose or walk away from. I got hosed by an
'honest' ham (WA6FEC) a few years back in a deal for a 75A-4 that he
never paid me for, not even ebay related. The cost of a plane ticket
out there is more than what he owes me for the receiver, but the next
time I'm in his Carlsbad neighborhood, I will look him up.

If you see private bidder's IDs, private feedback, or anything else
that doesn't appear right or above-board in a listing, there's
probably a very clear reason for it. Do the research and find out. In
today's world were everything is just a keystroke away, there's no
reason not to check first. As the old saying goes "if it sounds too
good to be true, it probably is". Unfortunately as with
radio-mart/Martyn, the prices on his auctions are lower than expected
because of dishonest dealings, and people get greedy, feel lucky, or
whatever the case may be.

Buyer beware. Get lazy, get screwed over. Simple as that.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ