CW

LM Picard lmpicard at ALLSTREAM.NET
Sun Apr 29 14:36:30 EDT 2007

The greatest threat to Ham radio is loss of interest and a decline in
numbers of those actually on the air.  If the frequencies are dead, they
will be lost.   This can happen gradually, with hams first having to
share the frequencies, share them on a "non-interference basis" and then
being kicked off them.

If the modes do not appeal to people, no one will be getting a license.
There are a lot of  options for the group of technically minded people
who might be drawn to ham radio.   There are all kinds of computer based
activities, Internet chats and news groups, international telephony
(e.g. Skype) that is easily accessible.   You can pick a pair of "family
radio service" walkie-talkies for less than the cost of a tank of gas.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.