Smallest Dual-6146 HF Transmitter?

Rodger wq9e at DTNSPEED.NET
Wed Aug 22 23:15:40 EDT 2007

Hi Doc,

It sounds like homebrew is the way to go for you!  Then you can build
exactly what you want with the right physical layout and materials and
have fun doing it and of course some of the older ARRL handbooks are
full of inspiration for this type of project.  I have on my list of  "to
do's" a couple of projects from the old Radio Television News magazine
from the 50's.  One is a cute little "portable" transmitter using a 6BQ5
built into a small wooden carry case.  Another was a series of articles
that showed the construction of a true beginner type separate
transmitter, regen receiver, and power supply all using "hardware cloth"
for the chassis.  Not exactly a work of art but an interesting beginner
station that would be fun to duplicate and operate.  Among the more
impressive construction stories was a copy of the Viking II built by a
TV station engineer and his workmanship was beautiful.  In the followup
issue he presented a station control (monitor, calibrator, metering,
switching facilities, etc.) built into a matching case.

I agree that the TR-7 does a very nice job on AM.  I haven't used my
Yaesu twins on AM in a few years since I generally use my Ranger/Desk KW
or a Viking 500 but they definitely are not easily transportable rigs.
I have an FT-897 that goes camping with me though I have never tried AM
on it, it gets used strictly for CW.

Good luck with your adventures!
73, Rodger WQ9E