Shipping older radios & insurance claims

L.G. Robertson digital-conjurers at ROADRUNNER.COM
Sun Nov 25 21:36:24 EST 2007

<sigh>...Brian,

I'm not a "stroll-up" customer", either, and please don't denigrate me in
that fashion; smearing the messinger doesn't change the message.  It works
with politics, but not here.

I had an account with FedEx for years, and was supplied regularly with
pre-printed waybills with my company name, account number, etc, etc.  The
aforementioned incident caused me to close my account with
them.   I  regularly ship radios with values in excess of $1000, and this
incident really was the prime motivator to cancel.  I now use another
shipper who claims they stand by everything, regardless of class of item in
this regard.

It sounds as if you have not had the misfortune to file a claim with them
with this class of item in excess of $500.

...and  Bob Peters Post:

"I took a
DX100 to have shipped when the
packing company showed me the
FED X rules on antiques and
old stuff. She said even if
you pay for $1000 insurance
that they will only pay $100
of it, "

...seems to bear out there is an issue here with FedEx, although why he got
"$100" instead of the $500 standard, I don't know.

And I sincerely doubt that there's one set of liabilities for one class of
shipper, and another set of liabilities for others; the law just doesn't
work like that, as far as I know.

This may be a new development they slipped in sometime during the recent
few years; I don't know.  But it certainly is the case now.

In any case, facts are facts.

-Lin/KJ6EF