73 ending - not Dude

John Dilks K2TQN oldradio at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Sat Sep 22 11:33:13 EDT 2007

You know, I'm old enough to remember the word "Dude" from my
TV-watching days, back in the very early 1950s.  The word "Dude" in
cowboy lingo referred to someone who was uneducated with the ways of
the west and cowboying in general.  Over the years I heard the word
"Dude" emitted by young folks with unkempt hair, usually carrying a
surfboard or skateboard.  Since I never had anything in common with
them, I ignored them.

Images like these are hard to set aside.  So today when I hear the
word "Dude" I ignore the person saying it, unless it is in the
context of cowboys, and then I know it is someone who knows the real
definition.

We all know 73.  73 forever!

73, John Dilks, K2TQN