Heathkit manuals... Copyright issues.

Rich Post postr at OHIOU.EDU
Sun Dec 14 00:21:02 EST 2008

There is no need to fight anyone, provided you are only interested in
manuals written before January 1, 1964.
Each copyright before 1964 expired into the public domain after 28 years
unless the copyright holder specifically renewed each copyright with the
Register of Copyrights.  Renewed copyrights from that era are in a Rutgers
University database.  Heath Company is not in there.  I doubt that anyone
at Heath had the faintest notion that any of their manuals needed to have
the copyright renewed after 28 years.  Heath just changed model numbers of
their kits and updated with a newer manual.  For manuals from 1964 or
newer, the copyright is still good.

My favorite summary of when things go into public domain is from Professor
of Law Lolly Gasaway at the U of North Carolina.

http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

The links to the Rutgers database can be found at Pete Millett's site

http://www.pmillett.com/tecnical_books_online.htm

Pete has been the most assertive with pre-1964 copyrights now in the public
domain and has done all of us a service with the gigabyte plus of books he
has made freely available.

I will continue sharing my small stash of 1963 and earlier Heathkit manuals.

73,

Rich KB8TAD