[Test-Equipment] Help identifying Old Superior Electric Variac

Dennis Wade sacramento.cyclist at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 21 20:12:37 EST 2009

Thanks all for the replies.  If there was a model number, I'd have used it.

Thanks for the links to Superior Electric.  Maybe some old timer wil
recognize it.

As far as scale is concerned, its a little over 7 inches across, and
about 8 inches tall, and weighs 22 lbs.

John, if you mean removing the terminal strip and taking a pic...I can
probably do that if that's what you mean.

       Thanks again all,

          Dennis

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Mike Manes <mrmanes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's the URL for Superior Electric variacs - might get some data there:
>
> http://www.superiorelectric.com/POWERSTAT.htm
>
>  From the terminal pic, looks like you strap the left-hand pair of terminals to
> the 120V 60 Hz line (neutral at the bottom), and load to the RH pair.  Check
> function with a voltmeter.
>
> There's no scale in your pix, but I'd guess that it's good for at least 500 VA.
>
> 73 de Mike W5VSI
>
> Dennis Wade wrote:
>> Good afternoon all,
>>
>>        I've been moving around this old Superior Electric variac for
>> years, partly because I have no information on it.
>>
>>        Could you guys/gals take a look at it here:
>>
>>                     http://tinyurl.com/variac
>>
>>           and tell me what you might know or reasonably assume about
>> it, in particular:
>>
>>                     How to hook it up.
>>
>>                     Possible current rating range.
>>
>>                     Age.
>>
>>           or whatever you might be able to share about it.  I've had
>> it for close to 20 years.
>>
>>               Thanks!
>>
>>                  Dennis
>>

> --
> Mike Manes    mrmanes at gmail.com     Tel: 303-979-4899
> "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so."
> A. Einstein

Dennis L. Wade
KG6ZI
Carmichael, CA