recommendation needed for 6M amp design

Don Roden donroden at HIWAAY.NET
Mon Feb 23 13:19:50 EST 2009

The 4CX250 is a sweet tube for six meters.

You can run one, or if you have a big power supply, you can run four.

I have an old Johnson 6N2 Thunderbolt that will loaf along at 1KW CW out
using two tubes.

I like un-tuned inputs with swamping resistors. If I remember
correctly, you need to make about 150 volts of voltage on the grids.
I built one that used a 200 ohm 100 watt heat sinked chip resistor and
a broadband 1:4 torriod transformer to handle a 50-100 watt driver.

If you need more gain, 10 watts with a tuned input will do great.
20 watts with more resistor loading will help insure stability.

I asked Bill Orr about the air requirements once, and he told me to
use a blower large enough to pop the tubes out of their sockets, and
then back off just a little...............  they are happiest with
lots of cooling.

Don WA4NPL