Duplex Outlets - Fire hazard - TVI

Bob Jackson bob at NOFROWNS.NET
Fri May 22 07:07:00 EDT 2009

We had (all) aluminum wiring in our house in Houston. The fix there was "pigtail" sockets. They had steel pigtails permanently attached to the sockets which were, in turn, mated to the aluminum wires with wire nuts, those plastic, conical-shaped thingies that electricians use to tie two wires together. We lived in that house for 16+ years without any problems, and that included a 220 vac line to my amp.

Just a thought,

Bob
AG5X
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Robert Groh
  To: BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
  Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:06 PM
  Subject: Re: Duplex Outlets - Fire hazard - TVI

  Rick,

  Make sure the replacement outlets are rated for aluminum wiring!  Even though your wire has copper coating, at least one of the problems with aluminum wiring is the temperature expansion of the wire which is higher than copper.

  Darned good catch on your part.  Looks like you are going to be busy!

  73
  Bob Groh, WA2CKY