Identifying Newer Caps

Jeramy Thibodeaux kg4azt at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Nov 26 16:12:40 EST 2009

282M = 2800pf --- +/- 20 percent tolerance
5J = 5pf --- +/- 5 percent tolerance
50J = 50pf --- +/- 5 percent tolerance
30J = 30pf --- +/- 5 percent tolerance

The letter represents the tolerance of the item.

You also mention that you have alot of capacitors with the capacitance
marked but no working voltage.  I have only seen this on ceramic discs and
mylars.  Given the thousands of different capacitors that were available
throughout the years with the various different markings I am no doubt
limited by my exposure.  I do however remember reading somewhere quite
awhile back that these are usually good to 250 working volts, but I
personally wouldn't trust that.

I can't help you with the plate coupling problem.

Jeramy
kg4azt