Hallicrafters S-77 ballast resistor.

Jim Simmons orion at DATASYNC.COM
Fri Jul 23 01:03:31 EDT 2010

Bryan,

I have an S-77, and it's in operational order...Does need new filter
caps however.  (Hum problem).

The S-77 info on the ballast in Sams Photofact Folder Set 146, Folder 7
dated 9 Sep. 1951 for the 117V version is:

VOLTAGE readings (In reference to common negative) with POWER ON and
line voltage at 117 VAC. Volume control at max.  Receive/Standby switch
in Receive.  No signal input.  Best place for common negative is at the
- (negative) lead of the electrolytic filter capacitors.  Since this is
an AC/DC set (no power transformer) common negative and chassis ground
are not electrically the same for resistance and power voltages.  The
chassis is connected to the common negative through a parallel RC
network which makes them both common for RF currents.
Pin 1 ~ 0 V
Pin 2 ~ 95 VAC
Pin 3 ~ 117 VAC
Pin 4 ~ 117 VAC
Pin 5 ~ 0 V
Pin 6 ~ 0 V
Pin 7 ~ 85 VAC
Pin 8 ~ 90 VAC

If the line voltage is different than 117 VAC, then these voltages will
be different also.  (Ratio should be approximately the same).

RESISTANCE reading between the pins of the socket and common negative
(POWER OFF)
Pin 1 ~ 0 Ohms
Pin 2 ~ 55 Ohms
Pin 3 ~ 117 Ohms
Pin 4 ~ 117 Ohms
Pin 5 ~ Infinity
Pin 6 ~ 0 Ohms
Pin 7 ~ 49 Ohms
Pin 8 ~ 52 Ohms

The standard tolerance of voltage and resistance measurements are
plus/minus 10%

Hope this helps you.
Jim Simmons ~ N5MSJ