AN/GRC-9 Receiver

Michael Tauson wh7hg.hi at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 14 22:39:17 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Ron W4RON <w4ron at carolina.rr.com> wrote:
> Tubes don't get "used up".

Open heaters, shorts and other wonderfulnesses happen even in amateur
service.  Even running derated, they happen.  It's a fact of life.

> Why would you want to bastardize a good working tube radio
> by installing transistors?

It's his radio and the swaps are plug compatable with only two
reversible under chassis changes.  It can be changed back at any time.

> This is about as bad as guys that put transistors inside
> the bases of 1920s tubes...

*Ahem*  I'm planning to do just that ... to tubes that no longer work.
 (See above about open heaters et al.)  OTOH, I agree about using
still working tubes like that.

> In hobby use tubes should last many many years,
> they'll probably out live you.

Some will & some won't.  The key word in your sentence is "should".
In a perfect world they would and manufacturers wouldn't make money
selling replacements, just new ones for new equipment.  But that
assumes the equipment is pefect too.  :-)

Ain't it cool that they do break so there were/are extras floating around?

BEst regards,

Michael, WH7HG
--
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/chapters/NTH/index.aspx