[Boatanchors] WANTED: 160-10M TX RF Section

KA9EGW ka9egw at britewerkz.com
Tue Mar 15 22:39:19 EDT 2011

Johnson Viking II, Johnson Invader, Heath Apache, Heath DX-100,
Hallicrafters HT-32B, HT-37, B&W 5100, Collins 32S-__, all good.  IIRC these
all use a pair of 6146's [although I think Viking 1's used a single 4D32].
The Viking II gets my vote because it's continuous-coverage pi-net is
WARC-capable out of the box.   Actually, I think I've pretty much covered
the field with that list...the Apache and DX-100 of course what you get
varies over a wide range depending on the skill of the builder.  Oh yeah,
the SB-401 had a pair of 6146's too, didn't it?

In the single-6146 class, for my money there are two transmitters--[1] The
Eico 720, and [2] everything else.

Moving out of the 6146 paradigm, the only sweep-tube final I ever even
remotely liked was the Drake T4X__'s, and I thought about converting it to
6146's because the sweep tubes fall off at 10M, let alone 6...YMMV.

The 4-line, the SB-401 [I think] and the Collins 32S-__ use separate,
compact power supplies.  AFAIK everything else here is heavy iron.

As far as a stand-alone RF deck with a pair of 6146's, not part of a larger
transmitter, I don't know that I've ever heard of such a thing.  I think
either B&W or Millen [or maybe both] made a standalone rf deck with either a
single 6146, or a single 807, or maybe one of them had a single 2E26...but
that's *really* reaching down into the dim recesses of long-forgotten
trivia...

Good luck, and keep us posted, ok?

73, Brian KA9EGW