[Boatanchors] Fw: Meissner Signal Shifter

Wilson infomet at embarqmail.com
Sun Aug 10 12:20:13 EDT 2014

From: Wilson
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2014 11:50 AM
To: BOATANCHORS
Subject: Meissner Signal Shifter

It’s been a while since I wrote about Shifters, so here’s the latest.

Thanks to Gary Barrell, I got an “original” 1938 shifter and some 80m coils.  GREAT, took three years.
A friend provided a c. 1942-3  military Shifter with ALL 18 coils, AMAZING.
I still have the 1942 Deluxe with which I started, thanks to Mike Langner.

Now I want to sell the 1942, since I want the Shifter to use in prewar setups.  No coils, but in good condition.  Any interest?

I need one set of 80m coils, one set of 20m coils, and two sets of 40m coils to have the ‘38 and ‘42 on three bands.
I have a set of 160m coils to trade.

Now to the hard part.  Careful perusal of old QST ads and other material shows that there were “original” shifters with no, one, or two VR tubes.
Since I’d like to get the oldest example I can find, or at least document the early changes, I’d appreciate any help with references, photos, or old ads anyone can supply.

Here’s a picture of one with NO VR tubes:

Here’s one with TWO VR tubes, both by the rectifier:

Here’s my ‘38 (?), with TWO VR tubes, one in the RF area.

SO, I’m looking for coils and documentation of early, 1938-39, shifter configuration.
BTW, my original keys the best of my three and it will be on the next CX, with an afterburner.

73,
Wilson
W4BOH