[cisco-bba] Redback and Cisco

Andy Schutz (aschutz) aschutz at cisco.com
Wed Dec 10 19:47:24 EST 2003

Babak,

Cisco has a number of different options in this space.  As you
mentioned, the 7200 and 7401 are options and the 7301 should also be
included with similar scalability numbers as the 7401 but is RP based as
opposed to the PXF based 7401.  The other option if your are looking for
a one-box solution is the Cisco 10000.  The 10k can terminate 61.5k
sessions per box which should give you some room to grow (which I'm sure
you hope to do!).  For more specifics on the Cisco 10000, check out:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/index.html

In regards to doing rate-limiting per PPP session, you can do this via a
radius av-pair handed down to the subscriber when they login.  This can
also be configured locally on the box.  By the way, this can be enabled
on all 61.5k users on the Cisco 10000 with no performance impact.

Hope this helps,

Andy