[cisco-bba] SESM & 7301's

Gordon Smith gsmith at wxc.co.nz
Wed Apr 14 15:30:33 EDT 2004

Hmm... seems like my mail client wants a holiday... I'd better try again  :-)

I have a requirement for an aggregation solution for broadband customers.
The aggregation devices should be able to do on-the-fly manipulation of customer connections e.g. dynamically reduce their allocated bandwidth when a data cap is reached.
Customer self-service is also desired.

The same devices will also be terminating VoIP traffic and applying diff-serv tags.

I've been informed that combining the SESM software with SSG enabled routers will allow us to do this, because SESM uses a proprietary protocol to talk to the SSG routers, but there appears to be no info at all on Cisco's site relating to this proprietary protocol. What I'm after is tcp ports etc that need to be allowed through in order for this to work.

Basically, what we're wanting to do is create a Cisco equivalent of the Juniper ERX/SDX system i.e. cutomer driven, dynamic rate limits (without forcing a disconnect), worm mitigation, etc.

I understand that the SESM needs to run in SPE mode - has anyone ever got it working with OpenLDAP?

Cheers,
Gordon