[cisco-bba] Replacing the Cisco 7206VXR - Juniper

Wayne @ CTL Wayne at squeezemail.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 04:35:11 EDT 2007

> You must have something seriously mis-configured.  I assume you mean a
> NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 (not a "G4"), but I have NPE-G2's pushing several
> hundred Mb of traffic of various size, including a TON of VoIP packets
> with QoS and I don't experience the problems you seem to be having.

Hi Robert,
    Thanks for that, I agree and I know of another aggregator that is doing
90-100mb of mixed traffic no problem, with a G1. Your correct it was a G2
card that we borrowed, not a G4. The problem is that router is handling 100%
voip traffic, and not just RTP it is also getting hit for Border traffic as
well (Like SIP and H323 setups with no RTP) which is minuscule size packets
and thousands (millions) of them / hour / day.

I'm no expert on this, but I'm lead to believe the problem is because the
CPU is involved with switching the packets and I need a router where the
packets are kept on the backplane and switched directly. The cisco is way
over spec (feature wise) for this as well I suspect, we don't have
complicated interface's we have interoute on one side 100mb full duplex and
a 3com 3300 on the other 100mb full duplex, although the access list would
be nice, to stop DOS attacks etc, its not imperative (and unusable at the
moment as you can imagine) hence why I thought a Juniper could be the answer
as those things sit at the edge of networks switching all day long.

Wayne